The use of a leave-in conditioner is something some use as an optional step after shampooing and conditioning their hair, while others keep it in their bathroom as a must-have to smooth tangles and lock in moisture.
Here’s everything you need to know about leave-in conditioners and explain why your hair actually needs this product and how to use it properly.
What is a leave-in conditioner?
A leave-in conditioner is exactly that, a conditioner that you leave in your hair.
Unlike daily rinse-off conditioners, leave-in conditioners are much less concentrated and easily absorb into your hair strands to protect your hair color from fading in the sun while hydrating your locks and making hair brushing a lot easier. There are similar ingredients in leave-in conditioners as in traditional conditioners, but the concentration of each varies, so it can adapt to all hair types without leaving behind the weight and traces of a traditional conditioner.
Using a leave-in conditioner after you wash your hair can help strengthen strands and prevent breakage by rebalancing the hydration and moisture your shower water may have rinsed away.
Difference Between Leave-in Conditioner and Conditioner
The difference between a daily rinse away conditioner and a leave-in conditioner are the concentration of ingredients. Our daily rinse away conditioner is made to be a bit thicker and has a higher concentration of ingredients to perform a faster job in leaving the hair soft and manageable. In contrast, the leave-in conditioner is made to be lighter while having similar ingredients as a daily conditioner. It is made to stay on the hair all day which is one of the reasons it is not so thick. This gives your leave-in the ability to absorb into the hair to do the work as you go on your day.
Benefits of Bigen Daily Hydration Leave-in Conditioner
- Hydrates Dry Hair: Leave-in conditioner provides extra hydration to the hair, which is essential for keeping it healthy and shiny. If your hair is dry and brittle, a leave-in conditioner can help hair look and feel soft and smooth.
- Enhances Shine: Contains ingredients that can improve the natural shine of your hair, making it look healthier and more vibrant.
- Repairs Damaged Hair: If your hair is damaged, a leave-in conditioner can help to repair it by providing extra hydration.
- Prevents Breakage: Helps to prevent breakage by strengthening the hair shaft.
- Color protection from heat: Helps protect hair color from changing due to heat from styling tools like blow dryers, flat irons, and curling irons.
- Improved Hair manageability: Leave-in conditioners can make it easier to comb and style the hair, reducing the risk of breakage and split ends.
- Frizz control: Helps to tame frizz and unruly hair, leaving it looking smoother and more defined.
How to Use Leave-in Conditioner
Step 1. Gently towel dry your hair to remove excess water after a shower.
Step 2. Section your hair and mist the leave-in focusing on your mid strands through your ends.
Step 3. Using a wide tooth comb or brush and gently brush through for even distribution.
Step 4. Finish with your styling products then air dry or blow dry to your end result.
Leave-in Conditioner FAQ
1. After using semi-permanent hair color, do I use a leave-in conditioner or a deep conditioner?
To extend the vibrancy of your semi-permanent hair color, a leave-in conditioner is a must. As a deep conditioner must be rinsed out, it can strip color away, causing it to fade faster. Considering that a leave-in conditioner also helps keep your hair healthy and hydrated, you will not be missing out on the benefits of a deep conditioner.
2. Can I put leave-in conditioner on non-wet hair?
Yes, you can apply a leave-in conditioner to non-wet hair, especially if you have dry hair or texture hair. A leave-in concentrate is lightweight, so you can apply or reapply it to your hair without it being wet.
3. Can I use leave-in conditioner and hair serum?
Absolutely! The purpose of a leave-in conditioner is to prepare and prime the hair, so you should start your styling regime with it, followed by a hair serum. If you use both products, you will be able to rest easy knowing that extra protection will be provided for your hair.
4. Is leave-in conditioner good for all hair types?
Yes, every hair type including men will benefit from using a leave-in conditioner. Especially those who tend to experience dry hair or live in a place where the weather is causing the hair to need more hydration to keep the integrity of their hair. Any hair type will see improvement in overall hair health and shine provided by the leave-in.
5. How often should I use a leave-in conditioner?
If you have wavy or curly hair and are looking for an extra dose of hydration it can be used on your hair daily. For those who don’t have curly hair you can use leave-in after you shampoo and condition your hair, which can vary between every other day to every few days. But it all depends on what you see fit for your hair and can use it every day if desired.